Thursday, February 21, 2008

Bob's Red Mill Wheat Free Biscuit & Baking Mix

I had purchased a package of this a few weeks ago while I was at a health food store. After listening to Paul whine about how he wanted waffles I finally broke down the other night and made some. This mix reminds me a lot of Bisquick. I haven't made biscuits with it yet but the texture of the product and ingredient list is very similar.

Now about the waffles. I followed the directions on the package for pancakes because it said that the same could be used for waffles. The one thing I didn't do was add all the water. It called for 2 cups and that just sounded like a lot for no more "flour" than I had. I ended up only adding 1 and 1/3 cups of water until I got the consistancy I wanted. I then cooked them in the waffle iron just like any other waffles.

I guess I'll get the bad out of the way first. They didn't brown well. I sprayed the waffle iron but still didn't get any browning to speak of. Also I was using a teflon coated, non-stick iron and still had to spray it. I didn't on one batch and they kind of stuck. Also once they got cool they took on an eggy taste. I'm not sure why but they did. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't a taste that you usually get with waffles.

The good. THEY TASTED LIKE REAL WAFFLES! As someone who doesn't HAVE to eat gluten free foods, I usually turn my nose up and eat the real stuff. The had the same texture as a Bisquick waffle, they tasted very similar and they absorbed the butter and syrup as wheat waffle would.

I enjoyed this product and would recommend it for a waffle or pancake mix. I'll have to let you know how it works for biscuits and quick breads in another post, after I try it of course.

WHERE TO PURCHASE:
Of course you can check you local supermarkets and health food stores. I've seen Bob's products becoming more popular on the supermarket shelves lately.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ED9L3K Amazon.com, they are even offering a subscription service for gluten free products right now. $16.00 for 4 packages

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Wheat-Free-Biscuit-Baking-Mix-24oz_W0QQitemZ330212852018QQcmdZViewItem#ShippingPayment Ebay - With shipping it looked about the same price as Amazon. I would use caution when buying food stuffs from Ebay.

http://www.suzannes.com/boredmiwhbia.html Suzannes.com $4.31 each.

No comments: